Thursday, December 9, 2010

Individual reflection – Jingjie Hu

This is the most challenging course I have ever taken, including MSs, HWs and machines. However, after this first design course, I found what I really like to do. Being a mechanical engineer is so cool since you are making things into reality.
I missed those days in the machine shop, especially the week after thanksgiving. We found out a lot problems in our design and the rack and pinion didn’t even work. By trouble shooting, we changed our design for the most critical module. Though we didn’t use it either in the seeding round or the competition, it still works as what we want. A lesson I learnt is that never use strings again in any future designs. That is the real trouble maker.
Our team is the only one tried to lift the balls from the slot and grab it to the other side among the 28 teams. However, we also made the robot multi-functional as what we did in the competition. We tried to push the balls inside the slot as well but it was a pity that both teams could not get a single ball into the bin and we didn’t win that round. We did scored some ping-pong balls during the seeding round which I didn’t expect. I saw how other teams did in the competition and some of them are really amazing.
I have never been to machine shop before but during the 2 months, I learnt how to use lathe, drill, tap, band saw, hex saw, laserjet , waterjet and so on (I need to learn millJ) and I am really proud of myself and my team. We met at least twice every week and sometimes stayed late. It is really challenging to keep a balance between team work and individual life.  However, it will be much better if you know what you are going to do and discuss during the meeting. In this way, the meeting will be more productive and efficient.
Personally, I feel this course working load is much more than 4 credits. During the last two weeks, because of the deadlines of the project, I skipped many other classes and is suffering now since I have to catch them back. I was also lack of time commitment for my UROP project and obviously, my sponsor was not happy. Well, it is really hard to balance between all these things. At first, I was thinking about how to make things best and perfect, and near the end, I was struggling with how to have all my stuff done as soon as possible to meet due dates. It is just nearly impossible to keep all courses in the same pace and I have to abandon some of those.  
One interesting thing is that I love You Tube due to this course (I could never use that before). There are lot tutorials for solidwork. I learnt how to make a nut and it worked pretty well. When you really want to make something, there is always a way to do it.
Communication is really important. We are always getting confused by other's ideas and we had some difficulties to explain our thoughts to others as well. This is really interesting and I feel my English improved a lot. Pictures really help us to explain what we want to say.
During the last week, I changed my laptop screen paper into “cheer up” since it was just really bad and now nearly all things are over. I will miss my teammates and all staffs since it is really an unforgettable semester. As an international student, I tried my best to remember the names of every tool and all the procedures about how to run machines. Even though I have studied in Canada for one year, the first several weeks were still like nightmares to me but now the hard time passed, I am much more comfortable with the course content. Thanks all people who answered my questions (some of them are ridiculous though), especially Sei Jin, I always threw him random emails and can always get the answers back on time.
If I could take the course again (though I never want to do that), I will still devote as much effort as I can. About the machine, everyone wants to win. If I had a chance to do it again, maybe I will pick up another strategy and think more thoroughly but I really like our idea which is really special. Also, as what I mentioned before, I will never use strings again though they did a great job in our machine. Also, I will still ask questions if I don’t understand. I feel there is nothing I regretted about this course and all the hard work paid off.
My suggestion to the course is: please give us more time to machine and practice! We are not procrastinating but this project does need more time. To be honest, I really want to see people score which means their effort paid off, at least. It is really sad that either in the seeding round or competition, the machines barely score. This is why I love last year’s project much better since it was more competitive. Maybe it is harder this year, I don’t know. We tried, but it will be better if we can see some results.
Well, almost the end!  To reiterate: Thanks my team, we are amazing and thanks Sei Jin, much appreciated your help and many other thanks as well.
Attached are the cute wall papers to cheer you up during the finals.
The winter break is coming, have a nice one!
(Sorry about the poor grammar)
---Jingjie Hu

No comments:

Post a Comment